My FLEX experience in California



I stepped on American land on a very hot day of July. Everything seemed like a dream: the airport, the hotel, blue FLEX t-shirts everywhere. There was a very semnificative song to accompany us during the long way:

The famous FLEX t-shirts

"We are going to the United States,
To have a lot of fun,
To make a lot of friends..."

There were so many dreams, hopes and fears in the air, we all still couldn't believe it was real. But it was! We all were heading to the greatest adventure of our life, at that time. Imagine a bunch of 15-16 years old teenagers who were out in the world for the first time. Moreover, it was not just a regular trip, it was a one year adventure which was promissing so many interesting things.

I was in the 1st out of 3 groups of students who were to leave Moldova that summer. being first, was both frightening and exciting at the same time. We did not know what to expect. We have seen America in the movies for so many times, but we were so curious to meet it face to face. While the rest of our friends were still waiting for their departure date, we were already on a plane which took us first to Frankfurt, and after a couple of hours of waiting to Washington D.C.. A pretty yellow school bus was already waiting for us there. I remember that it was afternoon, but it felt incredibly hot, after so many hours spent in the airports and planes.
My host family
In Washington our friendly group of blue t-shirts started to divide. Some students had their host family near the city, and they came to pick them up.  The rest of us were supposed to overnight in a hotel, and catch the flights to their final destinations the next morning. That night was very important for us, we were getting ready to meet our host families. I remember that i couln't sleep at all. What a night!

I was alone on my flight to San Diego. It took me around 5 hours to get there. I was so excited to see the city i had read so much about before. I came there prepared, but still it was not enough. I had to learn so many other things during the year. Before our trip, we all had received an envelope with information about or host community, school and of course, host family. Speaking about host family, I was very lucky;my host family was American-Moldovan, because my host mom was from Moldova. It was a great experience;I had to be the eldest sister of 4 little and very energic brothers. Someone wouldn't believe it, but i learned so many things from those little guys. At that time, i could call myself a Star Wars expert (although I haven't watched the movies). I am very thankhful to my American family, I really felt at home there. 
Making chocolate chip cookies
One year has passed so fast! But despite the busy schedules we still managed to travel and see some wonderful places. I will never forget our 11 days camping around California, Nevada and Arizona.
The Grand Canyon, AZ

I spent my sophomore year at San Ysidro High School. There i met my crazy twin Katrina! We did so many funny things together: drama club, video production class, school dances and volunteering. My dear Kathy is like a sister to me, although we haven't seen each other for 7 years now. I am sure that school wouldn't have been so much fun without her. I am so happy that we still keep in touch after all this time, and i am sure that one day we will meet again!

Let's go back to my school experience. During one school year i managed to learn Spanish, to play guitar and to play some sports. My English has improved and i took the US History class. It was fascinating to be there, in those classrooms, among so many students. It something we were seeing in the movies!!! I was impressed by my teachers and their teaching strategies. They were very friendly with all of the students, and this somehow created a special bound between us. I would love to go back to SYHS, at least for an hour. I miss those classrooms, lunch tables, and other places we liked. I know, someone would think i am crazy to miss a school :D
The first time i saw/touched the ocean 
I had mixed feelings when the school year was over, and i had to go back home. I missed home and my family, but it was very upseting to leave San Diego. This city was so kind to me! I always pronounce its name with a  trembling voice. When i left , i was somehow sure i could go back. Of course, it is not imposible! But it will take some time to return!

I have decided to write this post in order to encourage other students to apply to exchange programs. It is an experience you cannot have only by traveling to a country. It offers you the chance to get to know better a country, a community and a culture. I also want to inspire other families to host an exchange student. It is not easy, and it is a big responsibility, but be sure that you can change his/her life!

As a conclusion, i will write a quote which has accompanied me during my experience:

"Dreams do come true, on a land dressed in WHITE, RED and BLUE"!!!

Have a great day,
Alina






Yosemite park



Utah, May 2011

Our musical for Drama Club 
Spanish class with Kathy
Las Vegas

Video Production Class


Volunteering 


No wonder where i got the extra pounds :)


Waving Good Bye to my room 

Good Bye poster from my brother Alexander 
Here are some video from our high school days:


PS: I have so many pictures, but I chose the most representative ones!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did you know that? Italy

Letter to Oliver

Tips on how to improve your English