English phrases containing the word "book"

 My dear friends, 

I have bad news! My English Is getting worse day by day. I don't have time to work on this as I try to improve my Italian. Therefore, every book I read and movie I watch is in Italian.

You have no idea how much I miss English. This language has became a part of me. Luckily I have Your Daily dose of awww! It is one of the few opportunities to  write and think in English.

I've started doing a  research to learn new words and phrases. This is my resolution for this year. Do you know how many interesting idioms and phrases are there? That's why I just looove this language! So I thought,  why not sharing my discoveries with you? If you, like me, want to improve your vocabulary, than keep am eye on my blog. I will post something  new every now and then 🧐.

I will start with the most used idioms containing the word "book", or at least related to it. Here they are: 

1. To hit the books = to study hard

Example: Don't forget to hit the books before your exams!

2. To be a bookworm = to read a lot

Example: My sister was a bookworm when she was a child.

3. To do something by the book = to follow the rules

Example: He is sure of his success because he has done everything by the book.

4. To be an opened book= to be easy to understand

Example: I've known Jennifer since we were little. She Is like an open book to me.

5. To be on the same page with someone = to think the same way 

Example: Unfortunately we are not on the same page regarding this issue. 

6. To close the books = to stop spending time and effort on something

Example: After years and years of struggle, they have finally decided to close the books of this business.

7. To have your nose in a book = to read with intensity 

Example: Mary is reading a romantic novel. She has had her nose in this book for the whole weekend. 

8. To read between the lines = to find meanings that are intended but are not directly expressed in something said or written

Example: It is extremely important to read between the lines when signing contracts!

9. To read someone like a book= to be able to understand easily what someone is thinking or feeling

Example: My husband always knows when I am lying. He can read me like a book. 


That's it for today. I hope you find this post useful, because I surely enjoyed writing it. Don't forget to check my blog from time to time. I will write more posts using different idioms! Which one should I use first? If you have any idea let me know!

Have a nice weekend,

Alina❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did you know that? Italy

Letter to Oliver

Tips on how to improve your English