Breastfeeding: yes or no?

Hello there, future mothers,

This post is for you! I thought it would he nice to share with you my breastfeeding experience.

 When I found out that I was expecting, i did not have the courage to think more about the way I was going to actually feed the baby. I know it seems silly! I was focused more on the whole process of carrying him! And then, I knew that I would choose to  breastfeed anyway. I really hoped I would be able to do it and that's the main reason i did not spend too much time on researching what formulas were better and why. Due to the fact that I did not have many "mom" friends, I had no idea what breastfeeding meant. I had some basic ideas, and then I heard others experiences and got somehow terrified. You see, the stories that i have heard were not really encouraging.

So let me tell you how it went. Baby Oliver was really lazy in the beginning. He would eat for only 2 minutes and then fall asleep. So, the breast pump became my best friend for a couple of months. So did the nipple protector. Trust me, the person who has invented these protectors is a genius. They are a real lifesaver in the first days of breastfeeding. But turning back to the pump, I am glad I have bought it from the start, because i really needed it ( although the  doctors were saying not to use it, the baby just could not eat all the milk, and I had no other choice but to pump the rest of the milk). Using the pump was not painless in the beginning, but i got used to it in a day or two. I told you, we were best friends :D.

The worst part was when i had a bad fever for an entire week (or even more, I don't remember anymore). I was not myself those days. I could overcome it with some medicine ( prescripted by my doctor) and A LOT of massage and pumping. By the way, my pump was from  Medela, and i loved it.

I admit, my experience did not start great. I was not prepared for that. But who is? As long as the first weeks passed, it became a very lovely mother and son time. He started to eat more than 2 minutes (around 30-40 min). Hearing him breath and making funny noises is so entertaining. I have come to enjoy these moments and feel very nostalgic because they will come to an end soon. I have already told you a dozen of times that i want to stop the time and keep him a tiny  baby forever.

I am not going to speak about the benefits of breastfeeding or try to convince you to do it. I have learned one thing from my prenatal classes: each mother should decide for herself either to breastfeed or not. As long as you don't like it, you shouldn't force yourself to do it. This won' make you a bad mom. The baby needs a happy and healthy mother, and if breastfeeding is too painful or disturbing for you, then don't do it. However, I would suggest to at least try. It is an experience that not every woman is privileged to experience. And it is something really special (that is my point of view).

I have noticed that lately public breastfeeding become a very discussed topic. My opinion is simple. I do breastfeed when we are out, but try to find  more intimate places and I use special clothes. NOT because I am ashamed, but because I care about my baby and I don't want too much attention on us. And because I think he needs to eat in silence and peace!

 I am not here to give advice, because I am not an expert neither. I just want to give you some tips:

- don't get terrified by the stories you hear (like I did). You should know that all babies are different and so is the way they eat. You just have to respect that. Don't force the newborn to eat if he or she does not want to take more than 2 sips. Keep calm, and use a pump instead;

-speaking of pumps, you may want to have one ready for the first weeks because usually the milk comes in big quantities and the babies cannot eat all of it. I also recommend you to consider  buying a nipple protector but do not hurry to get it before having the baby. You might not need it;

- buy special breastfeeding bras and clothes, it is going to make your life way easier, and feeding your baby out will become less awkward for you and for others as well. There are so many accessories which can make the whole process easy and pleasant;

- it will hurt in the beginning, but trust me, it is worth it. You just need to be patient, and the pain will go away in a couple of days. Your patience will be rewarded.

So that's it for this post. I am really happy I can share this with you. Congrats to those who are expecting!!! It is going to be a very beautiful journey for you too. And of course, if you feel like sharing your experience I am always waiting for your stories or comments on my tips.

Wish you all the best,

Alina


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did you know that? Italy

Letter to Oliver

Tips on how to improve your English