Did you know that? Languages.

Hey guys,

I have something interesting for you today. One of my goals for 2020 was to learn something new every day 📚. It is pretty challenging, as I don't always have time or inspiration to do researches. But I still manage to do it. I discover new recipes, books, exercises. All of this is also supported by the quarantine (which is about to end  🎉 ).

So I had a brilliant idea these days (it might seem brilliant just for me 😆). I will do a "Did you know that" post from time to time. This way I will share with you the things I have learned during my research. Maybe you would want to find out some interesting facts as well. As they say, "sharing is caring". Let me know if you like the idea.

My first post is about Languages. All of us know how important speaking a foreign language is. And we are extremely happy that we can travel abroad without problems because we speak different languages.  But do you know how many languages are spoken in the world? Or which language is used the most these days? Let's figure it out together!

Did you know that?!

1. There are 6500 ( some sources say even 7000) languages that are spoken in the world today. About 2000 of those have less than 1000 speakers;

2. The most popular language in the world is Mandarin Chinese. It has 1.2 billion speakers currently but the numbers change very fast;

3. English, Hindu, Spanish and Arabic follow Mandarin in the Top 5 most spoken languages in the world;

4. There are over 200 artificial languages that have been invented for books, television, and movies;

5. Esperanto is the most widely spoken constructed international auxiliary language;

6. Every two weeks another language or dialect dies out;

7. The Bible is the most widely translated book available in 2454 different languages;

8. Many scientists agree that becoming polyglot can boost your brainpower. Other studies also suggest that speaking more than one language can help to slow down the aging process of the mind;

9. We speak an average of 15.000 words every day;

10.  Over 300 languages are spoken in the United States;

11.  The Council of Europe designated 26 September as the European Day of Languages.

If you want to learn more, open these links below:

1. The most spoken languages

2. Top 10 most interesting languages

I hope this post turned out helpful and you have enjoyed it!!

Take care,

Alina


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did you know that? Italy

Letter to Oliver

Tips on how to improve your English